Lofty Heights... 'Ohhh Bobby Zamooooora!!!'

A look at Queens Park Rangers F.C. through the eyes of the fans - follow us on twitter @loftyheights70, @LoftyQPR and @qprleeroy








Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Welcome Paulo Sousa...


QPR have today named former Portugal midfielder Paulo Sousa as their new first-team coach.



Sousa, who was assistant coach to Luis Felipe Scolari with the Portuguese national team, has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract. The 38-year-old played 51 times for his country and had spells with Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, Juventus, Inter Milan, Parma and Borussia Dortmund.


Sousa told QPR's website:
"It is an honour to be part of this project.

"I have always wanted to work for a big club and I am very excited about the opportunity to work for Queens Park Rangers.

"I have great belief in my ideas and my coaching ability and I firmly believe I can achieve the objectives set by the management.

"I believe in playing positive, attacking football and am looking forward to the challenge that lies ahead."


Gareth Ainsworth, who had been in caretaker charge, will stay on as part of Sousa's backroom team.

Sousa has never managed a senior team at any level, let alone in England, and his appointment while high profile represents a significant risk for QPR. Let's hope the owners will at the very least, give him a chance...

WELCOME AND GOOD LUCK PAULO!!!

8 Comments:

  • At 6:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck with your first 15 games Paulo!! ;)

     
  • At 6:30 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    Not eperienced enough I'm afriad. It will be just like having Gaz in charge - FB will still be "guiding" the team. It won't last.
    Let Flavio play with his new train set for a while I say - he'll loste a few games and get bored, and then (with luck) let a real manager with experience do a proper job.

     
  • At 8:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lofty, amazing how this news is released just a day or so after my last message. Not what we were looking for (i.e. I believe we need someone with a proven track record) but one can always hope! I do really hope dfrancis is wrong in the nicest possible way.

    I thoroughly enjoy reading your unbiased reports, views and grrreat stories, so please don't call it a day!

    Take care. C'mon you R's!

    South Coast Ranger

     
  • At 8:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just a thought....does Paulo speak good English?

    South Coast Ranger

     
  • At 8:13 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    thanks once again SCR and yes, according to Martin Rowlands speaking on QPR World, he does speak English!!

    Thanks to dfrancis and anon, I have said the same myself about the 15 games and I kind off agree with the next comment.

    Exciting, but risky! But what a player he was!! Fingers tightly crossed!

     
  • At 1:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think this is great news . some international flair maybe a nod back to the LDC days ? not so much of the ' play ugly ID ' school .
    FB can guide all he wants , he's given us hope .

    and as SCR says , keep up the great work Lofty .
    jk

     
  • At 7:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi ya mate
    i am in total agreement with dfrancis well said,, but i do wish hih all the best and hope i am wrong,,,one more thing paulo has said i have always wanted to work for a big club..WHATS HE DOING AT THE RANGERS THEN....PK

     
  • At 9:38 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    thanks jk a and thanks also to my old mate, PK, always the optimist ;o) hehe

     

Post a Comment

<< Home