Lofty Heights... 'Ohhh Bobby Zamooooora!!!'

A look at Queens Park Rangers F.C. through the eyes of the fans - follow us on twitter @loftyheights70, @LoftyQPR and @qprleeroy








Saturday, December 02, 2006

Confusing...


Palace 3-0 QPR

Although a London derby, Palace is never one of my favourite away days as it takes just as long to get there as will do to Stoke next week. Also, Corporate went, well, Corporate for this one and PK's work called him out at the last minute, meaning I had to endure the events on my own. I deliberately didn't take my camera as the view from the away end is obscured by a huge pylon(although I did take one with my phone).


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As for the game, well the title just about sums today up!

Firstly, the team selection was confusing - with Cook missing, JG started with 4 strikers. Was it a 4-3-3 with three strikers or 4-4-2 with strikers having to play out of position?

The result was confusing - people will see the result and think that it was nothing more than an easy win for Palace! Rangers simply dominated the 1st half, created lots of chances and missed two sitters! One from Rowlands and an incredible open goal miss from Marc Nygaard!!

The Rangers second half performance was confusing - although we were 2 down at half time, we were by far the better side. But the heads went down and we rarely threatened the Eagles defence at all! Morrison added to Freedman and Kuqi's first half goals three minutes from time.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

QPR: Royce, Bignot, Rehman, Stewart, Mancienne, Rowlands, Smith, Blackstock (Furlong 75), Gallen, Nygaard (Ward 75), Jones Subs: Cole, Bailey, Milanese

Lofty's Man of the Match - Michael Mancienne

There is nothing more I can really add to this report. As I sit here writing this, I am still confused. The defence will no doubt take all the flack again. But all three goals could have been prevented. Kuqi got the better of Stewart to pull the ball back for Freedman for 1-0. An uncharacteristic mistake from Simon Royce, saw Kuqi's effort squirm through his legs for 2-0. Morrison tapped home Soares's cross near the end. But as per the Sunderland game, the goal had a huge offside feel about it!

Like I said, confusing...

13 Comments:

  • At 9:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I listened on the radio and they could not believe we were losing at half time. The commentator even screamed something like "Nygaard, 1-1, Noooooooooo". Was it that bad?

    BWood

     
  • At 11:59 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    you had to see it too believe it Bwood, I was already celebrating myself! I presume it is the 'miss' you are talking about? ;)

     
  • At 7:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lofty

    Not much i can say about the game, as your report is the first i have read of the game.

    Not sure why JG had to midfielders on the bench and opted to play out of position striker's in midfield position's.

    At least judging by your report we did not play to bad but a lot of the good work we put in up to the Cardiff game seems to have evaporated.

    DJ

     
  • At 9:48 am, Blogger LOFTY said…

    thanks DJ

    Well, as I looked, it looked like a 4-3-3 with Jones, Dex and Nygaard up top - Gallen, Rowlands and Smith in the centre. But the offish described it as a very attacking 4-4-2 - Nygaard and Blackstock up front, Ray Jones on the left??

    As I said, we should have been 2 up at the break, not Palace, which made the secong half performance totally confusing!!

     
  • At 11:38 am, Blogger LOFTY said…

    thanks Rodneeeeeee

    I have been wondering myself about Mancienne. He is primarily a centre half so why he is shifted to right back is a mystery. Not sure I agree about Rehman yesterday, especially in the second half. Funny that the best I have seen him play is at right back this season...

    still, JG knows best ;)

     
  • At 12:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lofty

    Another good write up. It's as I saw it too.

    From my point of view it was a definite 4-4-2 with Jones on the left.

    I raised an eyebrow when I saw the team selection, with as you say 4 strikers in the line up. I am unsure whether Gallen in centre midfield is a good idea or not, but at least with him there we try and play more football. I thought our midfield were good in the first half but we badly missed Cook.

    Our defence was a bit unorganised to say the least. The fact that all 3 goals came down our LH side says a lot - you can either blame Bignot for being caught out of position, or Stewart for not being strong enough to stand up to Kuqi.

    Royce looked shakey and was at fault for the 2nd goal (Nuts!), but he was brave in the 2nd half for coming out for a 50-50 challenge with Kuqi.

    The 3rd goal was miles offside, I was sat directly in line with our last man. But Palace deserved their win.

    SB

     
  • At 1:13 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    Thanks SB

    If we had taken our chances, we would have been well ahead at half time and everyone would be patting JG on the back for his team selection! It was a gamble that went badly wrong. Yes, you can look at the defence again and as much as I rate Biggy, I think he is being exposed at left back now. He was sturggling also to communicate with Jones on the left (not their fault though) and was pointing the way for most of the game.

    Royce did look shakey but I don't think its cause for panic just yet.

     
  • At 1:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    EAAAAAGGGGGLLLLLLEEEEESSSS!!

     
  • At 1:36 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    haha - don't you just love it when you can debate all things football with the opposition :)

     
  • At 8:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Lofty
    The game did not go our way I had 2 corp games and went to nun in bed with flu,
    Thanks for report 4-4-2 or 2-2-4 with the other defendes missing?
    ;)

    Corp oh well we have to have a good run in FA Cup.

     
  • At 10:02 am, Blogger LOFTY said…

    A good run in the Cup??!!??

    Aawww bless him! He really isn't well!! ;)

     
  • At 10:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lofty:

    As usual I "watched" the game on the BBC, and have to admit that I felt I had wasted my time getting up early on a Saturday, (the game starts at 7.00am here). It was therefore good to read your report, and find that we had indeed played "well", and I should not get too depressed. Thanks again for your efforts.

    Brian in Reno Nevada.

     
  • At 10:45 pm, Blogger LOFTY said…

    thanks Brian, good to see you :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home